1. Tirupati Balaji temple has more visitors than Vatican City
Yes, you read it right. The Tirupati Balaji temple and the Kashi Vishwanath Temple both, get a greater number of visitors than the Vatican City and Mecca consolidated.
2. Kumbh Mela gathering can be seen from space
Every 12 years, a religious gathering called the Kumbh Mela occurs in India. It is the world’s largest gathering of people. The gathering is so large that the Kumbh Mela is visible from the space.
3. India has more mosques than any other country
India has more mosques (~300,000 mosques) than any other nation in the world. And the third largest Muslim population in the world.
4. First ever university in the world was in India
Takshila (at Gandhar) is said to be the first ever university in the world; it started around 700 BC
5. 70% of all the world’s spices is exported from India
6. Indian Railways employs more than 1.3 million people. That’s more than the population of many nations.
7. India has the largest English speaking population in the world.
8. ISRO used bullock carts to move satellites back in days
India’s first rocket was brought on cycle and a satellite on bullock cart. And despite budgetary constraints, India’s space program is one of the top 5 space programs in the world.
9. India discovered water on the moon.
10. In 2004, 200 women killed a rapist on the court floor
In 2004, 200 women took law in their own hands and came to the court armed with vegetable knives and chilli powder and murdered on the court floor a serial rapist – Akku Yadav. Then every woman claimed responsibility for the murder.
11. Oscar Winning Hollywood Actor Ben Kingsley is Indian descent
English Actor Sir Ben Kingsley’s birth name is Krishna Pandit Bhanji and he is of Indian descent.
12. Lonar Lake, a saltwater lake in Maharashtra, was created by a meteor hitting the Earth.
13. No doors for houses and no police station in this village at all
In a village called Shani Shingnapur in Maharashtra, people have been living in houses with no doors for generations. This is because they believe that whoever steals anything from this place will incur the wrath of Shani God and will have to pay for his/her sins very dearly. There is no police station in this village either.
14. India is the largest producer of films in the world
15. Magnetic Hill
Magnetic Hill is a gravity hill located near Leh in Ladakh, India. The hill is alleged to have magnetic properties strong enough to pull cars uphill and force passing aircraft to increase their altitude in order to escape magnetic interference.
16. Viswanathan Anand is the first player in chess history to have won the World Championship in three different formats: knockout, tournament, and match.
17. Until 1986, the only place where diamonds had been officially found was in India.
fact source: Gemological Institute of America
18. Martial Arts were first created in India, and later spread to Asia by Buddhist missionaries.
19. A cursed river
Karmanasa River in India is considered to be a cursed river and it is believed that touching its water would ruin one’s plans. There’s hardly any development along this river. People around this river just eat dry fruits because cooking food would require water!
20. Highest cricket pitch in the world
Chail in Himachal Pradesh is the highest cricket pitch in the world. It is situated at an elevation of 2444 meters (above the sea level).
21. The first Granite Temple of the world
The first Granite Temple of the world, the Brihadeswara Temple is situated in Tamil Nadu. It was built during the 11th century, in only five years.
22. India is one of the only three countries that makes supercomputers (the US and Japan are the other two).
23.Breathing the air inMumbai, India, for just one day is equivalent to smoking 100 cigarettes.
24. India gave the world Yoga, that has existed for more than 5,000 years.
25. May 26 is celebrated as the Science Day in Switzerland in honor of former President Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam, because on the day, Kalam visited the country
26. The world’s biggest family lives in India. One man, 39 wives and 94 children.
27. India is the world’s largest importer of arms. But India has never invaded or attacked a country.
28. An Indian man claims he hasn’t eaten or drunk for 70 years. After many tests, doctors still don’t know how it’s possible.
29. One woman dies every hour in India because of dowry-related crimes
30. India was one of the richest countries till the time of British rule in the early 17th Century.
India was one of the richest countries till the time of British rule in the early 17th Century. Christopher Columbus, attracted by India’s wealth, had come looking for a sea route to India when he discovered America by mistake.
cover image: source