Australian police secured the middle of the nation’s greatest city on Monday after an equipped attacker strolled into a downtown Sydney bistro, took prisoners and constrained them to show an Islamic banner, touching off apprehensions of a Jihadist assault.
An armed man today took undisclosed number of people hostage at a popular cafe in Sydney and displayed a black flag with Arabic script in the window, sparking a security alert in Australia.
- Armed men walked into the Lindt café in Sydney’s Martin Place at 9.45am
- Up to 20 people including staff and customers are being held hostage
- A black ‘shahada’ jihadist flag is being held up in the window
- Reports that hostage-taker has a shotgun and possibly an explosive device
- Heavily armed police have sealed off area around the café
- Nearby U.S. consulate has been evacuated in the wake of the raid
- NYPD said it is aware of the situation and watching closely
- Jihadists regularly encourage ‘lone wolf’ attacks in Western countries
- The United States is the most prominent target
Source – Dailymail